Here are three cover suggestions that we think could look very cool, but we are open to other ideas if you have something better.
IDEA 1: fill the cover with the words "Monsters Midnight Feast" and have monsters peaking around the letters or turn letters themselves into monsters. All of the monsters in the world attend the feast, so use your creativity designing the monsters. Feel free to put some monsters in clothing since this was a costume party.
IDEA 2: draw the two main monsters who are hosting the feast:
• a tall and gangly monster like a matted green bush. He is an outdoor-scarer.
• a short, squat kitchen-scarer, who looks like a slab of greasy tiles and loves chocolate chip cookies.
IDEA 3: Draw Lizzie and her father dressed up to attend the costume party:
• Her dad has thick brown hair and is tall and strong like a lumberjack. He carried Lizzie on his shoulders and disguised his hiking boots with long, dried grass.
• Lizzie is a scrawny nine-year-old with freckles and long brown hair. She had sewn giant, brown sacks together, glued laundry lint to them and then attached an enormous eye across the middle of the costume. While she was on her father's shoulders, she slid the costume over both of them so they eye was on her father’s stomach.
• They put on the costume at night surrounded by tall oak trees.
== TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS ==
• The title "Monsters Midnight Feast" must be legible when the cover is shrunk down to (roughly) 100 pixels wide x 144 pixels tall (We do a lot of business through online book sellers and that's the size of the thumbnail customers will see.)
• "By Steve Hanson" must be present on the cover, although it doesn't need to be large or prevalent.
• Resolution: 300ppi
• We do NOT have a preference of CMYK or RGB.
• If you use a black background on the cover, please use CMYK (60/40/40/100), RGB (0/0/5) or Hex #000005 because our printer will not print backgrounds with blacker blacks. Sorry. I think it's a weird requirement too.
• Dimensions: This is for a 5" x 8" book cover with bleeds, spine and back cover. Please see uploaded template for image size.
• Since this is work-for-hire, we'll have the rights to use the image how we see fit (such as promotions, mailers, websites, etc).
• This will be printed as a paperback (with a front and a back). The back cover should have a space for us to add our book description/price/barcode. Please, no text along the spine.