Company name: Sustainable Ocean Systems, Inc.
Need: Coastal communities experience water shortages whenever natural events like earthquakes and hurricanes interrupt municipal water infrastructure and supply and require large international relief efforts to meet the immediate need for drinking water for millions of people. Currently, bottled water is transported at great logistical cost which raises the price of emergency drinking water to as high as $26 per gallon and, in many circumstances does not provide enough water to meet the UN minimum daily requirements per person.
Process and Product:
• SOS will build, deploy and operate a Coastal Water Factory™ (CWF) vessel designed to be a complete drinking water solution for people in need
• This vessel will desalinate up to 1 million gallons (3.78M liters) of water product per day in an environmentally responsible manner and provide it in bulk or pouched for personal use
• The vessel will also be capable of freezing pouches for use as ice before melting back into packaged drinking water
• To support critical emergency and short-term water needs in the wake of catastrophic events by processing and delivering drinking water (bulk and packaged) and ice harvested from the ocean in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner
• To provide a safe, reliable, and cost-effective alternative to bottled water for those in need by following predictable weather events and rapidly responding to unpredictable disasters while maintaining complete autonomy from coastal infrastructure
• Create and deliver water from an unlimited local source faster, cleaner, and in far greater quantity than bottled water imports
• Water for those in need
Vessel: SOS Minnow