New designs welcome! Contest extended!
The strategies have been organized into the seven categories shown below:
1. Make Downtown Sparkle - Activities the private sector can do to spruce up their buildings, storefronts, parking areas, etc.
2. Enhance the Public Realm - Actions the public sector can take to spruce up sidewalks, roadways, signage, etc.
3. Recruit Businesses Downtown - Tactics to fill up downtown’s empty retail, restaurant and office space
4. Attract Diverse Markets - Methods to bring more shoppers to downtown businesses
5. Catalyze New Developments - Incentives to induce new investment downtown
6. Rehabilitate Historic Structures - Strategies to motivate adaptive reuse and historic renovations
7. Help Businesses Succeed - Tools to help businesses improve service, selection, management, and profitability.
Your task entails creating a family of icons/symbols representing each strategy category: think merit badges. Feel free to exercise your creativity within the following parameters:
• No text.
• Simple, clean, evocative design
• Intuitive iconography
• Audience: downtown stakeholders (both lay- and professionals)
• Legible at scales ranging from approximately 1 x 1 inch to 6 x 6 inches
• Legible when photocopied/printed in B+W or gray scale.
• Format: .png
Attached you'll find a photograph of one of the community's iconic buildings which we hope will influence and inspire your color palette. This photo plays a key role in the design of the document that will introduce the badges you design to the community.
We’re looking forward to seeing your ideas!
EDITED TO ADD:
We've attached another file showing the icons we were using as placeholders. All were fairly spare--simple silhouettes against a single color--and were easy to discern from a distance. Ignore the colors, which are no longer relevant to the document design. Ideas for symbology (just a starting point) include:
Make Downtown Sparkle - Buckets, mops, bubbles, brooms, etc.
Enhance the Public Realm - benches, trees, streetlights, planters, etc.
Recruit Businesses Downtown - Figure on ladder installing sign, open door, welcome mat, etc.
Help Businesses Succeed - shopping bag, cash register, etc.
Rehabilitate Historic Structures - We like the use of the clock tower from the photo, perhaps with a hand tool superimposed, e.g., a hammer.
Catalyze New Development - Crane hook, crane carrying building materials, hard hat, roll of plans, etc.
Attract Diverse Markets - Silhouette of a diverse crowd is good, but in the context of a street, plaza, maybe including children, a dog, a disabled person, etc.
Other guidance - Think about putting this design on a tee-shirt, about Andy Warhol or Magritte paper cuts
Skip the blaze since these will not be used as software/computer icons.